4.5 Point Loads
- MobiSlope allows an unlimited number of point loads to be applied to the ground surface of the slope geometry.
- To create a point load, tap Define Point Load , select a line on the ground surface and tap your finger above the desired location.
- You will be presented with a blue point marker representing the point load.
- Tap the marker for manual input of the location, or slide markers to move location above the selected line. Note that point loads do not snap.
- Use the Select/Pan tool to edit the point load magnitude and inclination angle by pressing and holding your finger over the point load.
- By default point loads are created normal to the selected ground surface line. Point loads can not be specified parallel to the ground surface line.
- The units to define point loads are kN in Metric and lbf in Imperial.
- MobiSlope creates an external force acting at the top of the slice where the point load is acting, and at the specified inclination angle.
- Once an analysis is complete, use the Inspector Tool and tap over a slice to view the slice forces and verify the point load has been modeled as expected.
- Take care specifying point loads on a submerged ground surface. If the option "Include No Strength Regions in Slice" is enabled for submerged slopes, the point load will be applied to the top of a no strength region, which is not physically possible. In this case it is recommended to use the "Apply Hydrostatic Force to Top of Slice" option for submerged slopes.
Using the Select/Pan Tool to edit / delete a point load
- Tap the Select/Pan Tool in the Drawing tab of the tool palette, and tap once on a point load in the drawing to select it. The point load will be highlighted to indicate it is selected. Now press and hold over the selected point load and a menu will be presented with the option to edit the point load magnitude/angle, or delete the point load.